Join the team at North Dakota United!
Field Consultant (UniServ Director)
The Field Consultant is responsible for planning, developing and implementing programs and activities that will advance the skills, knowledge and rights of local affiliates and members through organizing, increased membership, increased member activism and local power; and, to protect the rights of members and locals.
NDU is a state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers and serves approximately 11,500 members who are K-12 teachers, public employees, educational support professionals, higher education faculty, students and retired members. NDU provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political involvement, membership benefits programs, and professional and personal development throughout the state. NDU is governed by an elected eighteen-member Board and a statewide Delegate Assembly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist local associations with a systematic program of membership promotion, retention and recruitment.
- Organize new affiliates.
- Maintain a high visibility for NDU through building visits and attendance at local meetings.
- Serve as consultant and provide training and coordination to locals as they develop bargaining proposals and strategies.
- Assist locals in organizing.
- Assist locals in negotiations.
- Assist locals in contract maintenance.
- Represent and advise members and locals in member rights issues.
- Serve as a liaison between members and the NDU legal program.
- Assist in the processing of grievances.
- Maintain complete files on member rights cases.
- Train local leaders.
- Increase membership and member activity.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Knowledge and understanding of and experience with collective bargaining.
- Knowledge and understanding of and experience with organizing.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of the union’s role in education and public service.
- Proficiency in oral and written communication.
- Proficiency in technology including, but not limited to Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups with differing backgrounds, experiences, and points of view.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Ability and willingness to learn.
Start Date and Office Location:
The start date will be shortly after January 1st and the position will be located in the Fargo office.
Reports to the Executive Director.
Position requires extensive state and some national traveling as well as evening and weekend work.
- BA/BS degree (preferred).
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Should have experience in negotiations and employee rights.
- Must have proficient computer skills.
Salary consistent with the terms of the negotiated agreement between NDU and NDSO. Liberal fringe benefit package including automobile, vacation, paid holidays, etc.
Interested individual must submit a written letter of application along with a current resumé and three references. Applications must be postmarked no later than October 25, 2019. Send by mail to:
Chad Oban, Executive Director
North Dakota United
301 North 4th Street
Bismarck, ND 58501
Or send electronically to: email@example.com
North Dakota United is an equal opportunity employer