2019 ND UNITED LEGISLATIVE AGENDA
As adopted by the NDU Delegate Assembly on April 14, 2018.
North Dakota United advocates for great public schools to enhance student achievement and great public services to enhance the quality of life in North Dakota. Therefore, NDU supports legislation that will:
Ensure quality public education for students and quality public services for North Dakotans.
- Provide adequate and equitable funding for schools and institutions of higher education to offer a diverse and challenging curriculum and the services that will prepare students for global opportunities.
- Provide adequate and equitable funding for all public services to provide for the diverse and changing needs of our state.
- Ensure that public money supports only public institutions and that only public employees provide public services.
Improve and enhance student learning and public services.
- Provide fully qualified professionals in all service areas of public employment.
- Ensure that all public facilities and agencies are adequately staffed to provide quality service.
- Provide mentoring programs for employees that will heighten their expertise and confidence early in their careers.
- Provide time and resources for employees to participate in quality professional development.
- Provide modern, safe buildings and facilities.
- Provide secure buildings that ensure safe working and learning environments for public employees and children.
- Provide students and employees with nutrition and wellness programs that encourage healthful living and a healthful attitude for learning.
- Support programs or initiatives for school readiness.
- Support research programs in higher education.
- Support increased access to behavioral health services for all students and public employees.
Recruit and retain education and public employees.
- Promote increased funding for equitable salary increases for all education and public employees.
- Maintain the current health insurance benefit for all education and public employees.
- Maintain high standards for licensure and credentials from the existing independent teacher licensing board.
- Provide job security for all education and public employees.
- Provide bargaining and employment rights for all education and public employees.
- Protect the institution of tenure in higher education.
Provide retirement benefits for present and future retirees.
- Preserve defined benefit retirement plans for current and future education and public employees.
- Maintain the current multiplier.