This is a professional, confidential position under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for the smooth accounting and benefits administration of North Dakota United and its subsidiaries. The position requires that accounting data including budgeting, personnel information, and alternative operational planning be kept confidential.
NDU is a state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers and serves approximately 11,500 members who are K-12 teachers, public employees, education support professionals, higher education faculty, students, and retired members. NDU provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political involvement, membership benefits programs, and professional and personal development throughout the state. NDU is governed by an elected eighteen-member Board and a statewide Delegate Assembly. The staff is managed by the Executive Director.
The Senior Accountant may have the following responsibilities, based on education and experience:
- Maintaining Accounts Payable. As a team leader ensuring timely payment of invoices, confirming validity of debt, and gathering appropriate signatures
- Updating financial records via Quick Books
- Gathering payroll information and creating documentation for the outside payroll processing firm
- Assist in preparing quarterly budget reports under the purview of the CFO
- Have lead responsibility for reconciling bank accounts, as well as investment activities
- Assist in annual financial audit with gathering data for requests and preparing the financial statements
- Assist with the required documentation related to onboarding of new employees
- Serve as the primary contact for coordinating employer provided fringe benefits with outside vendors
- Assist with maintaining the IT infrastructure utilizing an outside technology service provider
- Assist with the management of NDU real and personal property
Qualifications, Education and Experience
This position requires attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and experience with QuickBooks, or similar software, and Microsoft Office. The candidate should also possess the ability to analyze complex financial information and communicate through phone, email, letters & in-person meetings. It is also required that the candidate have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
It is desirable that an applicant have experience working with the following:
- Experience working in a member-based organization
- Experience reporting to and advising an elect board of directors is desired
- Experience working with a collective bargaining agreement
- Non-profit experience is a plus
The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent experience in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance.
NDU offers a competitive salary based on education, experience, skills and demonstrated abilities. The benefit package includes family medical, dental & vision insurance; health reimbursement arrangement; flexible spending account with dependent care and medical reimbursement; life and long-term disability insurance; a defined benefit retirement program; a 401(k) program; starting with 17 days of annual leave plus holidays; sick leave and a very family friendly work environment.
Submit a letter of application, resume, and personal and professional references electronically to email@example.com. Questions about the position should be addressed to either Madalyn Rambousek or Gary Rath at 701-223-0450. Application deadline is August 15, 2022.