NDU is a state affiliate of the National Education Association and the American Federation of Teachers and serves approximately 11,500 members who are K-12 teachers, public employees, educational support professionals, higher education faculty and staff, students and retired members. NDU provides professional leadership, legal services, legislative and political involvement, membership benefits programs, and professional and personal development throughout the state. NDU is governed by an elected eighteen-member Board and a statewide Delegate Assembly.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Digital Director provides strategic counsel on and tactical delivery of digital strategies to help accomplish North Dakota United’s goals. Coordinate NDU’s digital communications (e-newsletters, social media, website and other channels) by developing and producing digital content and online communications and maintaining accurate and timely content on NDU’s website. The position also supports the overall work and direction of the department including but not limited to providing communications support and advice to various local affiliates and writing, editing and proofreading.
- Develop and implement a digital strategy that includes targeting and placement of digital advertising that expands North Dakota United’s presence online to advance North Dakota United’s goals and objectives efficiently.
- Maintain and update the organization’s website using web content management system and ensure website is a positive experience for visitors and content is well organized, up-to-date and accurate, and creates value for members.
- Use analytics from our digital platforms to better inform our organizing and political programs.
- Monitor and respond appropriately to users of North Dakota United’s social media channels and manage on-site social media presence at key events throughout the year.
- Create and edit regular e-newsletters and periodic blasts using an email content management system. Ensure that content is written and formatted appropriately.
- Work with Communication Team on web and social media content, as well as training on platforms for local affiliates.
- Create and conduct training for members and staff on web best practices, social media strategies and web-based platforms as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by North Dakota United’s management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the latest social media trends, with an ability to identify new trends, platforms, ideas and campaigns that could increase North Dakota United’s audience.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including proven editing and proofreading abilities.
- Knowledge of best practices in web usability, information architecture, design and writing
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.), including the strengths of each medium.
- Keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize projects to ensure that high-priority assignments are completed quickly and accurately.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field
- Three years of web and social media experience using web content management system(s)
- Three years of journalism, communications, public relations or related experience
- Experience preparing e-newsletter
- Experience creating strategic communications plans and messages for various campaigns
- Experience with web analytics
- Experience with public education, public employees, higher education and/or union issues
- Experience with web and graphic design platforms and basic design skills with electronic and print publications
- Experience with recording and editing audio and video
Interested individual must submit a written letter of application along with a current resumé and three references. Applications must be received through mail or e-mail by: Friday, March 27, 2020.
Send by mail to:
Chad Oban, Executive Director
North Dakota United
301 North 4th Street
Bismarck, ND 58501
Or send electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
North Dakota United is an equal opportunity employer.